WEEKLY NEWS SUMMARY - OCTOBER 12, 2022
In this week's Intersect, read about:
Delaware Supreme Court Rules Vote-by-Mail, Same-Day Registration Unconstitutional
“Delaware’s Supreme Court on Friday ruled that recently passed laws allowing universal vote by mail and same-day registration are unconstitutional, marking a win for state Republicans who had rallied against the legislation. The court found that the two moves conflict with the registration and absentee voter categories outlined in the First State’s constitution. It upheld a prior ruling by the state’s vice chancellor, which rejected the vote-by-mail law, while overturning his upholding of the Election Day registration law. The bills were passed in the final days of the state’s recent General Assembly, which ended in June. Democrats had previously tried to amend the state's constitution but had not managed to secure the two-thirds support needed.” read more at Fox News
- The court’s ruling is a victory for the rule of law, because the election legislation violated Delaware’s state constitution. Voting procedures and policies are a key aspect of safeguarding an election’s integrity, and states can modify these procedures by one of two ways: (1) passing a law through the legislature (which must conform to the state constitution), or (2) amending the state constitution itself.
- Constitutional amendments regarding how to vote, when to vote, and who can vote are on the ballot in several states for the upcoming General Election. Our My Voter Hub tool in this story’s ACT section will contain an explanation of any constitutional amendment–referred to as “measures” --on your ballot. Some of these measures relate to voter ID requirements and non-citizen voting.
- Amendments are a bigger deal than simply passing a law. A law must conform to the state constitution–it is subject to a standard higher than itself. But an amendment changes the constitution itself and imposes a new standard to which future laws must conform. It is crucial to know whether the measures on your ballot would strengthen or weaken the integrity of your elections.
- One of the most drastic proposed changes is Nevada’s constitutional amendment, “Question 3.” A “yes” vote for this amendment would institute ranked-choice voting for congressional and certain state offices.
- This article by the Heritage Foundation explains how ranked-choice voting is detrimental to the concept of “consent of the governed.” It is easy to manipulate due to its complex process, it disenfranchises voters, and allows candidates with marginal support to win. If no candidate receives over fifty percent of first-choice votes, ranked-choice voting redistributes your vote from your first-choice candidate to your second-choice candidate if your first choice received the minority of all the votes. The process of candidate elimination and vote redistribution continues until one candidate receives a majority, but that candidate may have only been the second or third choice of many voters.
- This was how Democrat Jared Golden defeated Republican Bruce Poliquin in Maine’s 2018 congressional election, despite Poliquin receiving more first-choice votes than Golden.
- What’s the big picture behind this drastic election change? Why make an election process less clear for voters and more susceptible to manipulation? “Those who can’t get their way by playing by the rules now want to change the rules so they can control the outcome,” said Jason Yates, My Faith Votes CEO.
We invite you to use this Election Day Prayer Guide as you petition God on behalf of our nation. Pray that the Body of Christ would see voting as a natural part of faithful obedience and love for our neighbors. Pray specifically that voters would be informed on the constitutional amendments on their ballot and vote for godly values.
Knowing how and who to vote for, especially at the state and local level, often seems too complicated and overwhelming. We’re here to help! My Voter Hub is the most comprehensive resource available for the Christian voter, covering elections in every zip code across the US. Get a personalized sample ballot & voter guide, register to vote, make a plan to cast your biblically informed vote, and more! All you have to do is enter your address and we help you get from the beginning of the process to the ballot box. Be sure to share this great resource with others!
Three States Face Disastrous Sexual Liberty Amendments
“The US Supreme Court’s 2022 Dobbs decision reversed the 1973 Supreme Court Roe v. Wade ruling which had for nearly 50 years legalized abortion throughout nine months of pregnancy. Sixty-three million innocent pre-born children were ‘legally’ killed before their birth under Roe. Now, baby denier abortionists and their sexual anarchist allies are promising deceptive ‘reproductive freedom for all individuals.’ Their new agenda goes way beyond Roe and abortion and relies heavily on deceit. For example, three states, California, Michigan and Vermont have ‘Reproductive Freedom Constitutional Amendments’ on their November 8, 2022, ballots to amend each of their respective state Constitutions.” read more at Catholic Culture
- Here are the proposed Amendments:
- California Proposition 1: “The state shall not deny or interfere with an individual’s reproductive freedom in their most intimate decisions.”
- Michigan Proposition 3: “Every individual has a fundamental right to reproductive freedom.”
- Vermont Article 22: “That an individual’s right to personal reproductive autonomy is central to the liberty and dignity to determine one’s own life course.”
- If passed, state legislators would be bound by their state’s “Reproductive Freedom Constitutional Amendments,” preventing them from passing legislation violating their state’s Constitution.
- These ballot measures may appear to only be about the right to destroy life in the womb, but as highlighted in the article, they will also impact religious freedom, rights of conscience, and the ability to live and work according to sincerely held beliefs. On top of that, these amendments (if passed) could be used to fuel further policy changes and will impact court of law decisions.
- These “Reproductive freedom” amendments would legalize sex trafficking. The “reproductive freedom” language would turn current sexual felonies involving minors into matters of personal choice. What is now illegal as statutory rape would be perfectly legal. Restrictions on selling or furnishing pornography or sexually explicit pictures, films, sexual devices etc., to minors would be legal. A “Playground for perpetrators” now becomes Constitutionally protected.
- The age of sexual consent is abolished by these amendments and very few people understand that. Parental consent requirements for birth control, abortion, and “transgender” drugs or surgeries which cause permanent sterilization would be prohibited. Sexually “progressive” school counselors, administrators, or social welfare employees could groom minors and “affirm” sex and gender changes behind parents’ backs.
- Religious institutions which resist “Reproductive Freedom for Individuals” will face non-compliance lawsuits, revocation of agency and professional licenses, withdrawal of tax-exempt status, loss of state contracts, draconian regulations and mandated employee qualifications. They are designed to force Christians to comply with the amoral requirements of the “Reproductive Freedom Amendments.”
- Make no mistake, the CA, MI, and VT ballot measures are cunningly designed to impact more than just their respective states. Promoters of these measures, the ACLU and Planned Parenthood included, already have their eye on more ballot measures in other states in 2024.
- In plain sight, radical progressives have pooled their money, influence, and power for decades to get us to this point. Thay have made edits, redefinitions, and outright codification of laws and terms that are contrary to common sense, moral values, and biblical principles. It is their years of methodical work to change public opinion that has set the stage for what we see playing out today with a well-played strategy. Voters who think these amendments are “simply” codifying Roe v. Wade are grossly mistaken.
- God has settled the issue of life. He is the author and creator. (Genesis 1:26, Psalm 139:15) He has also given us the free will to choose to value life - and we have seen throughout all of history the dire consequences when a society does not value life. So…just like Joshua, I will stand boldly in culture and declare, “as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.”
It is well past time for the church to wake up! We cannot stand idly by and think we will not have to answer to God for what is happening on our watch. Pray for boldness, pray for courage, pray for action. Ezekiel 33:6 may very well be speaking to us: “But if the watchman sees the sword coming and does not blow the trumpet to warn the people and the sword comes and takes someone’s life, that person’s life will be taken because of their sin, but I will hold the watchman accountable for their blood.”
What can you do to stop this madness? If you live in MI, CA or VT, you can vote NO on these ballot propositions. We also recommend that you and your church be prepared to stand resolute in support of life. Download and share this letter with your pastor, priest or clergy today. The church cannot be silent on this matter. The abortion industry is not just after our unborn, they want to destroy our children. It’s time to stand and it’s time to act.
Gender Dysphoria Diagnoses for Children Soared 70% in 2021
“Childhood gender dysphoria diagnoses soared 70% from 2020 to 2021, according to medical records of 330 million Americans analyzed by Komodo Health Inc, Reuters reported Thursday. The findings reveal a massive uptick in gender dysphoria diagnoses for children aged 6 to 17, with at least 121,882 children receiving that diagnosis in the five years leading up to 2021, according to Reuters. While most children who are diagnosed with the disorder do not medically transition, the rate of children on puberty blockers more than doubled from 2017 to 2021 to just over 5,000.” read more at the Daily Signal
- My heart goes out to these children. They are victims of activists and medical professionals who won’t listen to reason. When studies show that up to 85% of children with gender confusion experience relief during or after puberty, why are a growing number being put on drugs that stop puberty from naturally occurring?
- This is clearly a spiritual attack. As this article from the Daily Citizen explains, a distorted view of gender and sexuality affect how we view God and His gospel. We can and must fight back by preaching, discipling, and other heart-changing endeavors, but we must also avail ourselves of political means, because that may be the only effective protection for children in many cases.
- The article notes that, “The soaring rates of medicalization and transgender affiliation coincided with the Obama administration pushing insurance providers to cover transgender-related medical procedures, which prompted a massive expansion in public and private insurance coverage for gender transitions, including for children…More than half of states cover the procedures through Medicaid, and only nine states explicitly ban Medicaid coverage for transgender procedures.” While culture affects policy, it is also apparent that policy helps shape culture. And policy is created by the politicians we vote for.
- Two weeks ago, I wrote about how Vanderbilt University Medical Center (VUMC) was exposed for offering cross-sex hormones to minors and double mastectomies for adolescent girls and putting pressure on employees who held conscientious objections. Last week, in a response to state legislators who questioned the hospital regarding such actions, the hospital said they are pausing transgender surgeries on minors.
- In 2021, the Tennessee legislature passed a law banning hormone therapy for prepubertal children. Without laws like this, institutions such as this hospital would likely follow the revered standards of the World Professional Association of Transgender Health (WPATH), which no longer recommends a minimum age for prescribing puberty blockers to minors.
Heavenly Father, help us to do whatever You have called us to stand for the children in our nation. Help us all to take the opportunity to vote as we think about the impact of policies of the people we elect. Help us to disciple the children and young adults You have placed within our care and deliver them from the evil one. We pray this in Jesus’ name, Amen.
The most important question we can ask concerning our identity is this: Who does God say I am? Read through these important biblical truths and use them as a guide to help others, particularly the children in your life, to know their true identity.
My Faith Votes ‘Write Now’ Get Out the Vote Campaign Reaches 600,000 Eligible Voters
“‘Write Now,’ a get-out-the-vote campaign launched by My Faith Votes, saw an estimated 12,000 individuals across all 50 states reach over 600,000 eligible voters with handwritten letters and postcards ahead of the November Midterm Elections. My Faith Votes is a nonpartisan organization that mobilizes people of faith to vote in every election. The ‘Write Now’ campaign is a national effort run in large part by their Action Partner (volunteer) community, serving nearly 6,000 volunteers in the 2022 efforts as they and their friends, family, and churches wrote personalized messages to other Christians encouraging them to vote in the 2022 midterm elections. Within its first 48 hours, ‘Write Now’ volunteers committed to writing over 250,000 postcards and letters to eligible voters around the country. Throughout the campaign, that number increased by 600%.” read more at My Faith Votes
- 1 in 3 Christians doesn’t vote. Why not? We have found there are 4 reasons. 1) Lazy / Apathetic ("my vote doesn't matter") - they have not realized the imperative of their faith to act; 2) Self-Righteous ("I could never vote for any of those people") - they don't have a right perspective that all candidates are flawed and our choice will always be between the lesser of two evils; 3) Deceived ("Christians shouldn't be involved in politics") - they buy into the lie that there's a separation of church and state that prevents the Christian from being influential in the public square; 4) Uninformed ("I didn't know an election was happening" or "I didn't know anything about the candidates") - this person would vote if they had the information, and we just need to get it to them.
- We saw the need to change this, so our mission is to reach those who have been sitting on the sideline rather than standing and voting. Can a letter or postcard really make a difference? My Faith Votes executed multiple Get Out the Vote campaigns at the state level in Virginia in 2021 and saw tremendous success–an unprecedented 57% increase in Christian voter turnout. But it doesn’t just impact those who receive the cards and letters.
- The testimonials from those writing letters around the nation are truly inspiring! We’ve heard so many say that the Lord is present when they are writing and praying over these letters and postcards. The connectedness of the body of Christ through the Holy Spirit is known and they often feel called to pray specifically for that person they are writing to. Sometimes it's for health, some for finances, some relational issues, and more. Here from a few that caught our attention:
- 7 women assisted me in completing 500 letters for the Write Now Campaign for My Faith Votes. They had never heard of MFV. I witnessed seeing their joy of knowing they have impacted the voter turnout of our elections. This experience was priceless. -Paula
- I am blessed to be an Action Partner with My Faith Votes. Living in a state where one political party controls every level of government it can get very discouraging when we see non-biblical viewpoints openly promoted and celebrated by nearly every politician elected to “represent” me. So having My Faith Votes come alongside those of us who seek leaders with biblical values encourages us to not lose hope. To know thousands of Christians are specifically praying for our state also brings hope. I have also been blessed mightily by the Write Now campaign...having the opportunity to make a tangible difference in a different state, where the balance of power will be decided by Christian voter turnout is exciting. I pray that every postcard and letter I send will make a difference this November, and that God will be glorified! - Pastor Chris
Lord, we pray for the impact of all these letters and postcards that are being sent across this nation. We pray they are a conduit to motivate and equip Christians to vote. Thank You for the thousands volunteers who wrote and prayed over each one, may the fruits of their labor be felt and known. More than anything Lord, we pray that each person who receives these postcards and letters would know You as their Savior and choose to live out their faith for their good and Your glory.
Looking for a short video your church can play on Sunday about voting? Want to share a short video on social media or by email to encourage others to vote? Use this Dropbox link to view and download a few of our popular Public Service Announcements (PSA) and use as needed. If you’re interested in having your local radio station air PSA’s, reply to this email and we’ll get you the audio files for use.
My Faith Votes—is a nonpartisan movement that motivates, equips and activates Christians in America to vote in every election, transforming our communities and influencing our nation with biblical truth. By partnering with national faith leaders, My Faith Votes provides resources to help Christians Pray, Think, and Act to create an America where God is honored in the public square.