WEEKLY NEWS SUMMARY - APRIL 26, 2023
In this week's Intersect, read about:
Pray for America: National Day of Prayer on May 4
“Our nation will only stand strong when we kneel in submission before God. On this National Day of Prayer, let’s remember that prayer and fasting are not reserved for diplomats and politicians in Washington DC. Only an authentic and humble pursuit of prayer in every community, school, and home will revive the Church and bring blessing upon the nation.” -My Faith Votes
- Originally signed into law in 1952, the National Day of Prayer is a day set aside to pray for our nation. Title 36, Section 119 of US code states: “The President shall issue each year a proclamation designating the first Thursday in May as a National Day of Prayer on which the people of the United States may turn to God in prayer and meditation at churches, groups, and as individuals.”
- The National Day of Prayer began similarly to Thanksgiving. In the New England Colonies under British rule, traditional observances in late fall called for prayer and thanksgiving, while observances in the spring or summer called for prayer and fasting. The fall observance was established by President Abraham Lincoln as the official Thanksgiving holiday in 1863. The spring observance was established by President Harry S. Truman in 1952 as the National Day of Prayer.
- You understand and appreciate the power of prayer. And you realize how much our nation needs it right now. That’s why we’re coming to you with a request. The National Day of Prayer is next Thursday, May 4. It’s a day for all Americans to turn to God in prayer. Wouldn’t it be great if more Christians participated? Wouldn’t it be powerful if our participation was visible so it could serve as a shining example to others? We provide opportunities for you to take part, wherever you live, in the ACT section below. Will you join us?
In 1863, President Lincoln issued a proclamation calling for national humiliation, fasting, and prayer. It said, in part: “We have been the recipients of the choicest bounties of Heaven; we have been preserved these many years in peace and prosperity; we have grown in numbers, wealth, and power as no other nation has ever grown. But we have forgotten God. We have forgotten the gracious hand which preserved us in peace and multiplied and enriched and strengthened us, and we have vainly imagined, in the deceitfulness of our hearts, that all these blessings were produced by some superior wisdom and virtue of our own. Intoxicated with unbroken success, we have become too self-sufficient to feel the necessity of redeeming and preserving grace, too proud to pray to the God that made us. It behooves us, then, to humble ourselves before the offended Power, to confess our national sins, and to pray for clemency and forgiveness.”
May we heed Lincoln’s words today: humble ourselves before God, confess our sins, and pray for our nation.
The National Day of Prayer is Thursday, May 4th. My Faith Votes has prepared tools for you to use as you gather together to pray for our nation. Watch this short video from our CEO about the details, then consider taking any of these three actions:
- Host an event at your church
- Hosting a National Day of Prayer Event - an instructional guide
- Postures of Prayer Guide - This guide explores the various postures of the heart during prayer, including surrender, thankfulness, repentance, forgiveness, and petitions. Print copies and hand them out at your event as a complimentary resource.
- Pray at a government building
- Bring friends and family together at a local or state government building to pray.
- Use the Postures of Prayer Guide and access more prayer points here.
- Join a local event
- Find an event near you, or host one, if you can’t find one in your area.
Biden Announces He's Running for Reelection
“President Biden is running for reelection. He made it official in a video released Tuesday morning, exactly four years after he tossed his hat into the 2020 race. In the three-minute video, Mr. Biden repeated some familiar themes, saying, ‘When I ran for President four years ago, I said we are in a battle for the soul of America - and we still are. The question we are facing is whether in the years ahead we have more freedom or less freedom, more rights or fewer. I know what I want the answer to be. This is not a time to be complacent. That's why I'm running for reelection.’” read more at CBS News
- Also running for the Democratic nomination is Robert F. Kennedy Jr., nephew of President John F. Kennedy. The launch of his campaign on April 5 received little coverage, despite early polling suggesting a substantial 14% base of support among Biden voters. Marianne Williamson, author and “spiritual thought leader” who sought the nomination in 2020, also announced her bid.
- Former President Trump was the first candidate to declare a 2024 White House bid. Former U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations and South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley, former Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson, and businessman Vivek Ramaswamy have all declared their candidacy on the Republican side. Former Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo, announced he would not run.
- Other Republicans including Governor Ron DeSantis (FL), former Vice President Mike Pence, and Senator Tim Scott (SC) have not officially announced whether they will run. However, Scott launched an exploratory committee on April 12 for a possible presidential run, highlighting faith in God, the American Dream, and standing for conservative principles.
- The months ahead will be interesting, especially as we take in the messages these, and additional candidates, promote. While they may use the same words like “freedom,” “rights,” and “equality,” we must be careful to discern how each candidate defines these concepts. What is their worldview that determines the laws they will advocate for and execute, the kinds of judges they will appoint, and their approach to foreign policy?
Heavenly Father, thank You for continually working through the affairs of men to bring glory to Your name, draw people to Yourself, and fulfill Your eternal plan. In the upcoming presidential election, use the issues debated and the competing narratives to drive more people to seek the truth about the sanctity of life, God-given rights, the purpose of government, and to ultimately find the Truth–Jesus Christ. In His name I pray, Amen.
Don’t let next year’s election drown out the elections happening this year. Everything from education to policing is decided locally, and some elections are coming up as early as May 2, 4, and 6! Local issues often go on to determine the direction of national politics. So, it is time to make a plan to vote, and you can start by setting a reminder on your phone or computer. Will you vote in the morning, afternoon, or evening? Where is your polling place located? How will you get there? Once those questions are answered, you can start looking into who and what you are going to vote for. To help answer your questions about candidates, polling places, and voter registration, visit My Faith Votes’ My Voter Hub. To discover if your district has school board seats up for election this year, visit this link. Don’t forget to tell a friend!
Washington State Democrats Vote to Hide Transgender Runaways from Parents
“Washington State could soon require youth shelters to hide minors who run away from home in order to obtain an abortion or sex change operations without parental consent. The Washington House of Representatives this week passed Senate Bill 5599, which would eliminate a law that requires youth shelters to alert parents when their child checks in, unless there is evidence the child is being abused. The proposal would widen the scope of what constitutes a ‘compelling reason’ to conceal a minor to include youths seeking sex change operations or ‘reproductive health services,’ like abortion. The bill, which the Senate passed in March, now goes to Gov. Jay Inslee’s (D) desk for a signature.” read more at The Washington Free Beacon
- "Sponsors and supporters of this bill have overstepped the constitution and case law in promoting this policy, which would allow state bureaucrats to hide minor children from custodial parents and legal guardians," Republican state representative Jim Walsh said, adding that among the bill’s "many flaws," it assumes "families that don’t ‘affirm’ a child’s short-term desires are being abusive."
- Haven’t we told our children that they shouldn’t trust someone who tells them to keep a secret from their parents? Yet this bill essentially says it’s fine to keep these activities a secret from parents. And this belief is cloaked in the language of “love” and “the freedom to live an authentic life.”
- A bill in the California Senate, AB 665, also stems from this belief. The legislation, which passed the House, allows mental-health professionals to treat children ages twelve and older without parental consent or notification. It repeals the requirement that “the minor would present a danger of serious physical or mental harm to themselves or to others or if the minor is the alleged victim of incest or child abuse,” simply leaving it up to the professional to decide, after consulting the child. This treatment could include affirming a child’s desire to change genders.
- Do these disturbing bills reflect God’s view of the world, who created the family and gave parents the authority to nurture and raise their children? Or does it reflect the Enemy’s agenda to destroy God’s creation, hidden behind an attractive facade of “freedom,” “autonomy,” and the desire to “be like God”? (Genesis 3:5)
- This is yet another reminder that “our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.” But let that make us more determined to “put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.” (Ephesians 6:12-13)
Pray for all who have fallen for the devil’s lies regarding gender, sexual morality, and the family. Pray for Christians to clearly communicate biblical truth…and live it out in our daily lives. Pray that more state governments would be protectors, not opponents, of parental rights. And pray for the children who are at risk of being further led astray through such policies.
My Faith Votes has a national pledge affirming common sense and opposing gender mutilation procedures for children. Earlier this year, President Biden declared his support for hormone therapy and sex change operations for children and is pushing the agenda throughout government entities. This is no time to sit on the sidelines. We’re putting out a national call for Christians who will voice their opposition to this lunacy. Will you add your name now? You can sign here.
Supreme Court Allows Abortion Pill to Remain on Market for Now; Alito Dissents
“The U.S. Supreme Court will temporarily allow the abortion pill to stay on the market until appeals against a Texas federal judge's suspension of the Food and Drug Administration approval of the drug can be adjudicated. In an unsigned ruling Friday night, the court granted the request by the FDA and the abortion pill's manufacturer Danco Laboratories for a stay of Trump-appointed Judge Matthew Kacsmaryk's April 7 suspension of the FDA's 2000 approval of mifepristone pending disposition of the appeal in the U.S. 5th Circuit Court of Appeals and petition for a writ of certiorari for review by the nation's high court.” read more at the Christian Post
- We’ve been monitoring this important story for the past two weeks. As stated in the article above, My Faith Votes CEO Jason Yates expressed disappointment with the court's temporary stay. "Our hearts break to consider how many more innocent human lives will be ended. The fact remains that the FDA approved the drug in defiance of science and standard safety protocol in service of Big Abortion and political interests. While disappointed in this decision, we take solace tonight knowing the underlying lawsuit will eventually receive a full review by the Supreme Court Justices, and we trust that this evil drug will ultimately be off the market."
- The current case now returns to the New Orleans-based 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, which is set to hear arguments on May 17. (Consider setting a reminder to pray.) The losing side after the 5th Circuit rules could appeal the case back to the Supreme Court.
- The FDA-approved chemical abortion regimen consists of a two-drug combination of mifepristone and misoprostol. After the FDA eased longstanding restrictions in recent years, women can use the drugs for a chemical abortion up to 10 weeks' gestation, previously limited to seven weeks. The pills can now be prescribed following a telemedicine consultation without requiring an in-person appointment with a healthcare provider. Mifepristone is the first drug in the chemical abortion regimen, which destroys the environment in the uterus and starves an unborn baby to death. Also known as chemical abortion or the abortion pill, mifepristone not only kills the baby, but it is also a source of numerous safety concerns for those who take it, while abortion advocates insist it’s “safer than Tylenol.”
- At the state level, on Monday, North Dakota Gov. Doug Burgum (R) signed legislation banning abortion throughout pregnancy, with few exceptions up to six weeks’ gestation. Only in those early weeks, abortion would be allowed in cases of rape, incest or medical emergency. The law takes effect immediately and is one of the most pro-life laws in the nation. Last summer, the state’s only abortion facility, the Red River Women’s Clinic, shut its doors in Fargo and moved operations across the border to Moorhead, Minnesota, where abortion remains legal. There are currently six pregnancy resource centers in North Dakota.
Lord, thank you for the pro-life legislation passed in North Dakota. We pray for more Christians to realize that the government has a moral obligation to protect innocent life and we pray for faithfulness on the part of pro-lifers to continue the effort, no matter the outcome. We pray for the 3-judge panel in the 5th Circuit, that they would have wisdom as they hear the arguments on May 17. May their hearts be in Your hands, Lord, guided by where You want them to go (Proverbs 21:1).
Did you know that at seven weeks of development a baby is the size of a coffee bean? Seven Weeks Coffee was established by Anton Krecic who, at the age of 22, moved to Washington DC to get involved in the political process to promote godly values in government. But two things became obvious to him about values in Washington: godly principles are lacking on both sides of the aisle, and many organizations put profits before people. Anton started Seven Weeks Coffee to reverse that trend and to live out the calling of being a believer in the marketplace…and the company is committed to donate 10% of every sale to pregnancy care centers across the nation. Let your morning coffee serve an important purpose!
My Faith Votes—is a nonpartisan movement that motivates, equips and activates Christians in America to vote in every election, transforming our communities and influencing our nation with biblical truth. By partnering with national faith leaders, My Faith Votes provides resources to help Christians Pray, Think, and Act to create an America where God is honored in the public square.