Gentleness - Weekly Devotional
This week's focus: Gentleness
Gentleness is defined as:
- the quality or state of being gentle
- having or showing a kind and quiet nature
- mildness of manners or disposition
Father, as I participate and vote in every election season, I pray that you would make me Christ-like in gentleness. May my heart, my thoughts, my words and my actions be gentle in spirit and bring others into your rest. I pray that, in the midst of what can be a harsh and vitriolic political process, your people in America would be known by our gentleness.
“Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.”
- Pray for each of the majority and minority committee leaders in the Senate and House as they make decisions and influence the polices that apply to all of us. Pray for unity as they work together and lead these committees. You can access the names of each person here.
- Pray for all of those who have been affected and are still in the path of Hurricane Dorian.
- Dear Lord Jesus, on this Labor Day, our hearts are filled with gratitude. We’re thankful for our jobs—for the good gift of work, by which we provide for our families and others; participate in the creation mandate—to steward your resources, make culture, and reveal your glory; and though which we celebrate being made in your image. We praise you for the dignity and privilege of work, as exasperating and exhausting as it is, at times; and we praise you that throughout eternity—in the perfections of life in the new heaven and new earth, we’ll live lives of creativity, engagement and meaningful work. But even more so, on this Labor Day, we’re grateful for your finished work, Lord Jesus—for your labor of love offered for us once and for all. Everything changed when you cried out from the cross, “It is finished!” We praise you for the once-and-for-all-ness of your redeeming work on our behalf. As our substitute in life, you worked hard to do what we could never do for ourselves—you fulfilled all the demands of the law for us. And as our substitute in death, you accepted the just and holy consequences of our failure to keep God’s law. We worship and adore you! In Jesus name, amen.
We want to see God honored in America, and we pray for an unprecedented spiritual awakening.
This devotion was produced in partnership with Every Home for Christ.
This ministry is made possible by the generous support of friends like you.