5 PRAYER PRIORITIES FOR THE NATIONAL DAY OF PRAYER: 2021
On Thursday, May 6, The National Day of Prayer celebrates 70 years of prayer for America. Originally signed into law in 1952, the National Day of Prayer is a day set aside to pray for our nation. Title 36, Section 119 of US code states:
“The President shall issue each year a proclamation designating the first Thursday in May as a National Day of Prayer on which the people of the United States may turn to God in prayer and meditation at churches, groups, and as individuals.”
A Long-Standing Observance for Our Nation. The National Day of Prayer began similarly to Thanksgiving. In the New England Colonies under British rule, traditional observances in late fall called for prayer and thanksgiving, while observances in the spring or summer called for prayer and fasting. The fall observance was established by President Abraham Lincoln as the official Thanksgiving holiday in 1863. The spring observance was established by President Harry S. Truman in 1952 as the National Day of Prayer.
He Stands Ready. God is sovereign and nothing comes as a surprise to Him. Whether we face fluctuating economics, threats from abroad, unrest at home, or other troubling circumstances, our Heavenly Father is not caught unaware. Through prayer, we are able to access His wisdom, strength, protection, and peace. He stands ready to respond to our needs when we humbly ask for divine intervention in the affairs of all men.
Encountering God. As we pray for America, whose pledge of allegiance recounts that we are “one nation under God,” and whose currency states that it is “in God, we trust,” we want Americans to encounter the God who rules over their country. “He who forms the mountains creates the wind, and reveals His thoughts to man, He who turns dawn to darkness, and treads the high places of the earth—the LORD God Almighty is His name.” Amos 4:13
A Call to Humbly Seek Him. He is the One who gave us this promise in 2 Chronicles 7:14: “If my people, who are called by My name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.” As we humbly and diligently seek Him, we’ll be changed, and we’ll see transformation in America through prayer.
1. PRAY FOR THE CENTERS OF INFLUENCE IN AMERICA
“First of all, then, I urge that petitions, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for everyone, for kings and all those who are in authority, so that we may lead a tranquil and quiet life in all godliness and dignity.” 1 Timothy 2:1-2
- Pray for the executive, legislative, and judicial branches of the United States government to value one another, respect one another, and work together for the good of our nation.
- Pray for America’s military, its leaders, and all personnel to be protected by God, and for the courage to depend upon God.
- Pray for the members of the media in America to be fair in their reporting, bearing truth. Pray for believers to be discerning of the news, seeking facts over emotion.
- Pray for America’s businesses to have leaders of integrity, be creators of economic blessing, and givers to the community.
- Pray for America’s centers of education to create a culture that would return to truth and Judeo-Christian ethics, that would provide a safe atmosphere conducive to learning, promoting excellence in the quality of the educators.
- Pray for the churches in America to find a new zeal and commitment to the mission and purpose of Jesus Christ, returning to the absolutes of God’s Word, knowing that God’s people look and act differently from the world. Pray for a holy fear of the Lord to be released in the heart of God’s people.
- Pray for the families in America to return to a biblical model, for the re-establishment of relationships between parents and children, for a return to family values that serve the nation as a whole, and for a return to the biblical mandate to train children at home in the fear of the Lord and not leave the responsibility to others.
2. PRAY FOR A CULTURE THAT VALUES THE SANCTITY OF ALL LIFE
“I call heaven and earth as witnesses today against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing; therefore choose life, that both you and your descendants may live; that you may love the Lord your God, that you may obey His voice, and that you may cling to Him, for He is your life and the length of your days…” Deuteronomy 30:19-20
- Pray for the women facing the decision between abortion or life for their pre-born baby. Pray for the men and women affected by abortion, that they would experience God’s healing. And pray for God to open the eyes of the abortion workers, that the veil of deception would be removed and their hearts would be softened to receive the truth.
- Pray against a culture of death that seeks to kill and destroy those who aren’t seen as valuable, wanted, or who have been deemed a burden.
- Use our sanctity of life prayer guide to pray through nine focused prayer points on the issue of life here. Pro-Life Prayer Guide
3. PRAY FOR UNITING TRUTH TO OVERCOME DIVISIVE LIES
“The one whose walk is blameless, who does what is righteous, who speaks the truth from their heart; whose tongue utters no slander, who does no wrong to a neighbor, and casts no slur on others;” Psalm 15:2-3
- At the heart of every division is a lie — about who we are, who God is, and how we ought to live according to His truth. Pray truth might overcome every falsehood in America today, from distortions in the media to the lies we accept in our daily lives. Pray that the Church sees through and combats these lies and stands strong for truth.
- Ask God for reconciliation where there is conflict in broken relationships. Pray for people to return to the truth of the Bible and a restoration of unity and love in the mighty name and power of Jesus.
- Pray against “identity politics” that seeks to divide our nation even further. The biblical reply does not deny the reality nor the importance of identities to the human story. It does, however, begin with what unites all humanity—the Imago Dei, we are created in the image of God. The biblical worldview starts in sameness, not differences. Only the gospel secures peace and establishes truth. Only the gospel will unite a fractured society.
4. PRAY FOR THOSE IN THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT MAKING DECISIONS ON OUR BEHALF
“Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God.” Romans 13:1
- Pray they would come to know Jesus as they serve “we the people,” seeking God’s wisdom above their own.
- Use our Government Prayer Guide to pray for all those in Federal Government leadership roles, by name. Prayer Guide for Government Officials
5. PRAY FOR LOVE, LIFE, AND LIBERTY OVER OUR NATION
“Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.” 2 Corinthians 3:17
- This year’s theme for the National Day of Prayer is: “Lord, Pour Out Your Love, Life and Liberty” from 2 Corinthians 3:17
- Real liberty is found in Christ, not a country. Liberty is walking unchained from the stain and pain of our sin; living fully forgiven and fully free to live as our Creator designed us. In liberty, we get to live a full life of purpose and fruitfulness. Liberty breaks every chain that holds us to our past and tethers us to the enemy who comes to steal, kill, and destroy.
- We pray for God to pour out true Love, Life, and Liberty over our nation. We pray He will soften hard hearts and heal broken ones as we engage, encourage, and equip the Church to love and live in the fullness of Christ as an example of the liberty and life we experience in Jesus. The world and culture are shifting sand, a moving target of popular trends and philosophies that come and go like the wind. But Jesus came that we could have real-life; real love that won’t walk out on you, and real liberty that is the solid rock that erases our sin with the freedom of forgiveness through His death and resurrection.
Join with us and millions of believers across the nation as we pray through this year’s theme, “Lord, Pour Out Your Love, Life and Liberty” from 2 Corinthians 3:17.
Visit the National Day of Prayer website to stay connected to their work throughout the year here.
*thanks to the National Day of Prayer and Ronnie Floyd for prayer references*
My Faith Votes—is a nonpartisan movement that motivates, equips and activates Christians in America to vote in every election, transforming our communities and influencing our nation with biblical truth. By partnering with national faith leaders, My Faith Votes provides resources to help Christians Pray, Think, and Act to create an America where God is honored in the public square.
Website | www.myfaithvotes.org Twitter | @MyFaithVotes Facebook | My Faith Votes